This is best done as soon as you have purchased the phone so that you don’t have to worry about losing data. If you have already owned the phone for a while and have lots of apps I have included a short section on backing things up before upgrading
This guide presumes you have a San Francisco phone with a TFT screen (to check if you have a TFT screen Dial *983*24474636# in the dialer. If you see “Glass: Samsung” then you cannot use this guide.
PLEASE NOTE – THE FOLLOWING WILL COMPLETELY WIPE YOUR PHONES INTERNAL MEMORY (THE EXTERNAL MEMORY CARD SHOULDN’T BE AFFECTED THOUGH). PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP ANYTHING YOU NEED. I OFFER NO GUARANTEE THAT THIS WILL WORK. YOU MAY END UP DESTROYING YOUR PHONE. ANYTHING YOU DO IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Backing Up Your Phone
- First backup your contacts to the phones memory card (unless you already have all your contacts synced with gmail)
- Contacts -> Menu -> Import/Export -> Export to SD Card -> OK
- If you want to backup your programs and their data do the following
- Copy the following file onto your phone http://bit.ly/hbtGVP via the usb connection
- Disconnect the USB cable then navigate to the file on phone, click on it and choose install and then run. Press the “Go Root” button. It may say your phone is already rooted – just press the “Root me please” button
- Then copy the following file onto your phone http://bit.ly/ekfbk4 via the usb connection
- Disconnect the USB cable the navigate to the file on the phone, click on it and choose install (do not open afterwoods, just press the done button)
- Download Titanium Backup (free version) from the android market place
- When it is installed open it from your applications menu. Click on the “Backup/Restore” button at the top of the screen. You will then see a list of all your installed applications. Click on each one you want to backup and press the “Backup!” button. Do this for every application you want to backup. You can read the user guide at http://matrixrewriter.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=TB+-+User%27s+guide
Upgrade To Android 2.2
- Unlock your phone so it can be used on any network (you need another network sim to do this).
- Enter EMEI number into http://arrtoo.x10.mx/unlockBlade.php and make a note of the unlock code
- Remove the battery from phone. Swap your original SIM for a different network SIM
- Put the battery back in and turn on the phone (enter any pin you may have set on the SIM)
- You should then be asked to enter the unlock code. Enter it carefully and you will then get a message saying your phone is unlocked. Restart the phone and put back in which ever sim you plan to use.
- Download the new software version. I used the following version http://www.mediafire.com/?oqsq4psbsorgghd
- Connect your phone to your computer via the usb cable and turn on USB storage mode
- Create a new folder (in the root directory of your phones usb card) called image (it has to be in lower case)
- Extract the zip file you downloaded (in step 6) into the image folder
- Disconnect/Unmount the phone from your computer, turn the phone off then remove the battery and put it back in again
- Restart your phone by holding down the menu, volume + and power buttons at the same time
- Your phone will then restart and install the new software (don’t touch any keys until it has finished – you may see some green text as it installs)
Unlocking – http://www.englishforum.ch/1043156-post18.html
Upgrading – http://android.modaco.com/topic/319831-15jan-guide-installing-the-modaco-custom-froyo-rom-from-scratch-and-other-roms/
Backing up – http://www.applicationsdaily.com/2010/10/special-remove-pre-installed.html